Sunday, April 1, 2012

April fools (that's without the ')

Although we don't always bow to outside pressure, we have decided to blog our latest, and perhaps most foolish adventure. It will take place right here at home. The project? Another construction project of course.
Our bay window has failed. Our sun room windows and door have failed. Our heat bill is too high (join the crowd, right?). So instead of just taking the easiest road, selling out and living in our van, we've decided to redo the whole back end of the house and add a room to connect the kitchen and the sun room. It is April after all and it has been a mild winter.
To date I've moved the herbs from the corner garden and John has moved my rocks (can't let those beautiful rocks get buried). John has started to remove the siding. The photo on the upper right is what the insulation looks like behind the siding that's missing. Yuk! The mice have been very busy making our house colder. All that will be redone and mice tunnels blocked for good this time we hope.
Since the project didn't seem quite big enough we also decided to tear into the wall in our back room and fix the air leaks (bottom photo). We plan to install the newer type radiator we had under the bay window (our effort to recycle). The old one we had there works great but is a bear to keep clean (and I HATE to clean). Please notice the four chairs around the stove. The two comfortable ones are for the two cats (somehow they just didn't go for the straight backed chairs...). In the last photo is the radiator that's been taken out. It probably weighs about 200 pounds. That's my foot beside it showing how narrowly it missed my foot when it got away from John. I'm happy to report I'm still fairly quick on my feet otherwise you would now be sending me condolences about never being able to walk again.
So that's it for today. Don't expect a blog every day but I'll try to do my best. Happy April Fool's Day from two real April fools.

No comments:

Post a Comment